Welcome to GPS, a new and simple way to achieve unmatched rod performance without the hassle of straight edges, charts, tape measures, strings or tape. GPS has taken the math equivalents, height calculations and guide considerations of Fuji’s New Guide Concept and created a software application that can do the work for you with only a few simple measurements you can provide after reading a brief tutorial. In numerous test layouts, GPS consistently returned data that resulted in excellent layouts that maximized guide train efficiency and offered reliable, long range castability with less line slap, lighter overall weight and enhanced rod sensitivity. Best of all, GPS provides a suggested layout that offers a “starting point” where rod builders (and even factories) can then focus on fine tuning a particular set up for a truly custom, high performance rod.
What GPS can do.
- GPS is based on the parameters set forth in Fuji’s New Guide Concept that aims to produce a lighter. more powerful, better casting rod through proper guide selection and placement.
- GPS deals only with the reduction train of spinning rods, the stripper guide to the choke point. Proper selection of stripper guides and the subsequent reduction guides to a known choke point are the most critical factors in creating a rod that casts further, handles fish better and remains light and sensitive throughout.
- GPS will automatically update as information and products change
- GPS provides data on ALL guide models suitable for a particular rod/reel set up. In keeping with the concept of custom rod building, GPS provides data, allowing the builder to make the final decision on model and final layout. DO NOT choose all the indicated guides for your final layout. Instead, choose two or three that provide good spacing for your rod. For example: if you will be casting mono or flourocarbon you may opt for a larger stripper, in this case you may select the 25, 16, 10 reduction guides as your layout. For the same rod casting braid, the final layout may be the 20, 12, 8 layout. SELECT THE GUIDES THAT FALL INTO THE BEST (GPS) POSITION FOR YOUR PARTICULAR NEEDS. YOU SHOULD NEVER NEED TO ORDER A 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 8 TO ACHIEVE A GOOD LAYOUT, UNLESS YOU WANT THEM AVAILABLE FOR EXPERIMENTATION. Position any guides ordered according to the GPS print out and tape them to the blank for testing.
What GPS does not do
- GPS provides exact locations of given guide models when information is provided in the reel measurement section. It cannot determine if these measurements are correct or incorrect. Information based on 27X should be considered only as a range of options due to the variation inherent in this technique. Excellent measurements from the reel will result in excellent layouts that take full advantage of the New Guide Concept.
- GPS does not offer information on running guide set up beyond the choke point. Bend characteristics of blanks make this an impossible task. GPS deals solely with the set up of an efficient reduction guide layout from stripper to choke point. (For information on running guide layout for New Guide Concept rods please review our Static Load Tutorial page. Combining GPS with proper Static Load positioning results in rod performance unmatched by any other system.)
- GPS generates information for Fuji Rod Components only. The New Guide Concept is a true, theory based idea that works with all guides, but only Fuji products are built to “fit” specific parameters suggested by NGC and GPS. For almost a decade, Fuji has adjusted height and ring size of specific guides to fully support the New Guide Concept. For optimum performance use only Fuji products.
Having problems? Try opening GPS with this link instead.
View Reel Measurement Tutorial